Sunday, October 09, 2005


Art-Talk and Wine-Talk

I’ve decided that talking about art is very similar to talking about wine. Grasping to find words to explain the sensory, the visual, the tastes on your palette.

It’s funny-- I have the same caution around wine talk as I have with art talk. I enjoy my share of wine, but I'm not so adept of articulating what I like. Thankfully, my husband keeps track of which wines I like, in addition to which ones he likes.

Sometimes I can go so far as to say “fruity” or “oaky.” I think these are the most obvious of flavors. Once I think I said “seems like hints of chocolate.” But I don’t feel adept or comfortable going much farther. I can’t rattle off, “berries, pear, tar, tannins, acidic, not acidic, long in the somethingerother, etc.”

Much of my wine talk has been sadly limited to “I like it.” (or “I don’t like it.”) And, “I’d love another glass.”

Sometimes my lack of description is about not being sure, not being able to identify the particular taste. Sometimes, it’s that I’d rather just appreciate it and drink it than talk about it.

Sounds a bit like an art-talk experience.

At my second artist reception (just yesterday), art and wine came together. My husband had picked out a nice New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and for a few minutes, it was the talk of the reception. A couple of us, including me, said, “Wow” on first sip.

“It really has some unusual flavors,” I said. “Not sure quite sure how to describe it, but it’s got a lot going on in there. Rich and flavorful. I like it.”

Sounds like a good art experience.

Hey, even Picasso couldn’t find all the words.

“I do not say everything, but I paint everything….” Pablo Picasso (Feb 21, 1966)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home