Sunday, October 23, 2005

Inside the Painter's Studio


Inside the Painter's Studio

I think I've figured out why I like to watch Inside the Actor's Studio. I've never been much of a celebrity-watcher or reader of People magazine. So, watching this show didn't seem to fit.

But I like it. I've realized the appeal is the subject matter. Yes, the actors and directors talk about themselves. But more importantly, they talk about their craft. About the process of creating.

When it's a particularly good interview, you see how the actors feel about their work. How they put the essence of themselves into the parts. How they create something. You can see their passion and determination, and their utter enjoyment of the art of acting.

So, a-ha. It's not People-magazine-type talk about who's dating who, and who has nice or ugly outfits. It's about art.

And I really dig those ten questions at the end. I imagine myself on the spot, being asked to respond to those ten questions, never quite sure what my answers might be. Such a brief opportunity for cleverness and insight.

However, I am facing up to the fact that I'll never be on the show. So, I'll take a crack at it here. And given that I'm interviewing myself, I've given myself permisson for more than one answer in a few cases.
1- What is your favorite word?
Cacophony.
I like the sound of it. And because it sounds like what it means.
Alizarin Crimson is a good one in the painting realm. Also like this one for the dramatic sound (as well as the color).

2- What is your least favorite word?
Hesitation.

3- What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
Art-painting-expressing-experimenting, sitting on my deck looking at the trees -- and simultaneously enjoying the squirrels and cursing them for eating all the fruit from my trees.

4 - What turns you off?
The corruption of politics. Corporate speak.

5- What is your favorite curse word?
Cluster-f--k.
It just sounds extra-messed up.
Also, swearing in a foreign language. Merde. Scheisse. Even the relatively benign, Dios mio. They sound either more sophisticated or sillier, depending on mood and how you pull it off.

6- What sound or noise do you love?
An orchestrating warming up before a concert.
You hear snippets of melody, tuning-- none of it goes together, and yet it blends into a really interesting sound.
Also, the beeps and screeching of a modem line (but not too loud).
Laughter. I love the variety and freedeom of laughter. In the right mood, and in small doses, I even find annoying laughter amusing.
Of course, many kinds of music.

7- What sound or noise do you hate?
The background din of technology and machines.
Granted, it usually becomes innocous because we all tune it out most of the time. But I'd love to have the convenience of computers, refrigerators, Tivos -- without the fans, motors and hard drives whirring.

8 - What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
A few-- sculptor, writer, jazz violinist, interviewer.
Sometimes I think I'd like to have either Terry Gross' or Ira Glass' jobs. They interview and meet interesting people, and tell interesting stories.
I'd also like to publish a couple children's books, and play like Stephan Grapellli.

9- What profession would you not like to do?
Toll-booth collector.

10- If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Welcome. Good job. Relax.

... that's my ten cents-- from inside the painter's studio.

1 Comments:

At 12:10 AM, Blogger AlfredGalura's Watercolours said...

i love your blog, and it makes me laugh, smile... i love to see your studio. have fun..
alfred

 

Post a Comment

<< Home